The Dutch immigration authorities have announced new minimum salary levels to take effect beginning January 1, 2014 for Knowledge Migrant Workers (aka Highly Skilled Migrants) and Blue Card applicants coming to the Netherlands. In addition to minimum salary levels increasing, there is a change in the way minimum salary levels must be calculated and paid – effective immediately, salaries must meet minimum monthly pro-rata levels and must also be paid directly into the bank account of the foreign national.
Minimum Salary for 2014
The new minimum salary levels are as follows:
- Knowledge Migrants aged over 30: €52,462.08EUR per annum (up from €52,010).
- This must be paid in monthly instalments of at least €4371.84EUR/month (this amount includes 8% holiday pay).
- Knowledge Migrants aged under 30: €38,465.28EUR per annum (up from €38,141).
- This must be paid in monthly instalments of at least €3205.44EUR/month (this amount includes 8% holiday pay).
- Persons who have graduated in the Netherlands within the last 12 months: €27,565.92EUR per annum (up from €27,336).
- This must be paid in monthly instalments of at least €2297.16EUR/month (this amount includes 8% holiday pay).
- Blue Card Holders: €61,469.28EUR per annum.
- This must be paid in monthly instalments of at least €5122.44EUR/month (this amount includes 8% holiday pay).
Effective immediately, payments must be meet the minimum monthly amounts stated above, which include 8% holiday pay. Payments must also be made directly into the bank account of the foreign national, and the burden is on the employer to prove that such payments have been made and meet monthly requirements.
Failure to be compliant with this new rule may result in fines of up to €12,000EUR per violation. Frequent audits by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (SZW – Ministerie van Sociale Zaken en Werkgelegenheid) are expected.
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.