Recently, Malaysia’s Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) has announced several changes to processing that have gone into effect this past Monday, November 10th. Going forward, MDeC will only grant dependent passes to dependents ages 18 and younger. Those who are older than 18 are to be granted long-term social visit passes. Holders of long-term social visit passes are not allowed to do any of the following: study; work; start a business; or become involved in political speeches, lectures, talks, or any other political activities. Additionally, the MDeC is no longer issuing work authorization to foreign workers’ spouses who hold dependent passes. Spouses who would like to work in Malaysia must first obtain an independent Employment Pass. As a final change, foreign knowledge workers who hold a Philippine passport and enter Malaysia without first obtaining a reference visa will no longer be required to present a Philippine Overseas Employment Administration certification upon applying at the Malaysian Immigration Department. Foreign workers should be aware of the above changes prior to traveling to Malaysia.

Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.