After a 457 Visa review committee has made recommendations for changes, Australian authorities have implemented the following changes to the 457 Visa requirements:
- Applicants who are using 5 years of secondary and/or higher education as proof of their English abilities are now only required to show total years of education, rather than consecutive years;
- Applicants who are using the IELTS test as their proof of English abilities are now only required to have an overall score of 5.0 with no less than 4.5 in any part (as compared to previously having to maintain a minimum of a 5.0 score in each part);
- Applicants may now demonstrate their English capabilities through additional tests such as the TOEFL (Internet-based), Pearson Test of English (PTE), and Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) test, if conducted on or after January 1st, 2015;
- The approval period for a 457 sponsorship has since increased from only three (3) years to five (5) years; and
- A longer period of 28 calendar days has been granted for the mandatory reporting of events to the immigration authorities (must be within 28 calendar days from the date of the event’s occurrence).
The above changes to the 457 Visa are all effective immediately.
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.