The Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) has announced that more foreign workers must apply for a temporary extension of their GNIB residency card while their renewal permit is being processed due to delayed employment permit processing times at the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.

Furthermore, the GNIB has also introduced additional requirements to obtain the temporary extension. Now, in order to obtain a temporary GNIB residency card, foreign workers must submit a payment receipt to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation in addition to a dated copy of the employment permit application as evidence of a pending renewal application. The new guideline could delay the GNIB residency card application process by at least a week which could potentially leave the foreign worker out of status if they postpone renewing their employment permit near the expiration date of the permit.

It may be beneficial for foreign workers to apply for employment permit extensions as early as possible to avoid the possibility of being out of status. Foreign workers should also make sure to apply for temporary extension of GNIB cards before their expiry.

Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.