The Bank of Russia has defined minimum requirements for medical insurance for foreign national employees which will take effect on May 1, 2016.
In addition, effective January 1, 2016, work permit holders applying to amend their work permits more than seven days after a change to their passport details must pay a fine of between 4000 and 5000 RUB.
Medical Insurance Requirements
In accordance with Federal Law 115 (“On the legal status of foreign citizens in Russia”), foreign nationals working in Russia are required to have medical insurance which ensures that they can receive first aid and urgent medical care while in Russia.
On January 31, 2016, Bank of Russia regulations regarding this issue entered into force. In accordance with these requirements, medical insurance certificates held by foreign citizens should include specific information about:
- The insurer (employer);
- The insured person;
- The insurance company;
- The validity term and territory of the certificate.
Insurance companies are required to amend their documentation in accordance with the above requirements within 120 days of the January 31, 2016, when the Bank of Russia regulations entered into force. This means that starting May 1, 2016 Federal Migration Service offices will require medical insurance certificates to match the above requirements.
Effective January 1, 2016, a foreign national work permit holders whose passport details change must now apply to have their work permit amended within seven business days of the passport change or face a fine of between 4000 RUB and 5000 RUB.
Please note that:
- Highly Qualified Specialist (HQS) work permit holders must be paid at least 167,000 RUB gross per month; HQS work permit holders who take leave must be paid at least 501,000 RUB gross per quarter.
- Passport validity for HQS work permit applicants should be at least three years from the date the work permit application is submitted.
- Passport validity for standard work permit applicants should be at least one year from the date the work permit application is submitted.
- Passport validity for work visa invitation letter applicants should be at least eighteen months from the date of requested entry to Russia.
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.