On February 2, 2016 a new quota decree was published, retaining the same 17,850 places for subordinate (employed) and autonomous (self-employed) work for non-European Union (non-EU) nationals, but increasing the quota allocations for change-of-status categories.
Online applications (on a first-come first-served basis) opened on February 9, 2016.
As last year, 2400 places are allocated to autonomous workers of non-EU nationality, 1000 places to foreign nationals who have completed study or training in their own countries, and 100 places for individuals of Italian origin, with at least one Italian parent, residing in Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela and Brazil.
This year, only 100 places are reserved for participants in last year’s Milan Expo: Last year 2000 places were reserved for Expo participants.
The remaining 14,250 places (up from 12350) are reserved for non-EU nationals converting EC long-term residence permits, or study, training or seasonal permits into subordinate or autonomous work permits, as follows:
- 4600 places for conversion of seasonal work permits to non-seasonal subordinate work permits (up from 4050);
- 6500 places for conversion of study or training permits to subordinate work permits (up from 6000);
- 1500 places for conversion of study or training permits to autonomous work permits (up from 1050);
- 1300 places for conversion of EC long-term residence permits issued by other EU Member States to Italian subordinate work permits (up from 1000);
- 350 quotas for conversion of EC long-term residence permits to an Italian autonomous work permit (up from 250).
A further 13,000 work permits will be available for seasonal workers. These can be applied for from February 17, 2016.