Effective July 26, 2017, the Taiwan Workforce Development Agency has introduced a new work permit allowing foreign national spouses of foreign national employees to do part-time professional or technical work.

Who Qualifies?

The new work permit is available for foreign national spouses of foreign national professionals who do “Class A” professional or technical work. The spouse must also do “Class A” professional or technical work, which includes the following categories:


  • Civil engineering or architecture;
  • Communications and transportation;
  • Tax and financial services;
  • Real estate;
  • Immigration services;
  • Attorneys;
  • Technicians;
  • Health care;
  • Environmental protection;
  • Culture, sports, and recreation services;
  • Academic research;
  • Veterinarians;
  • Manufacturing;
  • Wholesale;
  • Other work designated as per the joint consultation of the central governing authority and the central competent authorities

The applicant must obtain an Alien Resident Card (ARC) for dependent purposes, and the job must meet the minimum salary for “Class A” professional work of NTD 200 per hour. The applicant must meet the relevant educational and work experience criteria for their category of professional and technical work.

The employer, however, does not need to meet the usual minimum capital and income requirements for employers of foreign professionals, so smaller companies may be able to hire foreign professional spouses part-time with this new work permit.

Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.