The current processing times have increased as the abolishment of the Subclass 457 Temporary Work visa category is scheduled to take place March 2018 with the new Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa. Current processing times of 90% of subclass 457 applications are adjudicated within 10 months and 75 percent of the 457 applications are adjudicated within six months.
The current 457 visa system will remain in effect until February 2018 however the increased processing times are likely due to the upcoming change.
Changes that would occur are the following:
- New occupation lists which better target and align with skill needs in the Australian labour market
- Mandatory criminal history check
- Minimum English language requirements
- Mandatory labour market testing
- Requirement to pay contribution to the Skills Australian Fund (SAF)
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.