Effective immediately, dependent family members of applicants for permanent or temporary residence are required to register separately with the Social Security Administration of Costa Rica (CCSS) after completing the residence application process.

Previously, dependent family members could be included in the CCSS registration of the principal applicant. Children aged 17 years or under are not required to register with the CCSS.

In cases where the principal applicant is employed by a business, their employer is required to enroll them in a CCSS insurance program at the nearest CCSS office, before the residence application is submitted. Registration processing takes one business day.

However, the new CCSS registration for dependent family members can take up to ten days to be approved, requires more supporting documents and must be completed after residency has been approved, but does not require any additional fees to be paid.

The relationship between the principal and the dependent must be evidenced, and economic dependence must be demonstrated.

Employers of applicants for permanent or temporary residence should ensure that social security registration is completed for any dependent family members aged 18 years or older.

Hong Kong – Visitor Status Now Permits Delivery of Speeches and Presentations

Effective immediately, foreign nationals entering Hong Kong as visitors are allowed to attend an event to give speeches and presentations without obtaining a separate employment permit, under certain conditions.


  • The duration of the event must be no longer than seven days;
  • The visitor must not be remunerated for speaking or presenting at the event (other than reimbursement for accommodation, travel, meals and other expenses relating to the event);
  • The visitor can only attend one event to deliver speeches or presentations during each permitted period of stay.

Visitor Status

Nationals of about 170 countries and territories may visit Hong Kong without a visa/entry permit for a period ranging from seven days to 180 days. Other nationals must obtain a visit visa to enter Hong Kong.

Persons in Hong Kong with visitor status may not take any paid or unpaid employment, establish or join any business or become a student.

Apart from the new permission to give speeches as above, visitors may engage in the following business-related activities:

  • concluding contracts or submitting tenders;
  • examining or supervising the installation/packaging of goods or equipment;
  • participating in exhibitions or trade fairs (except selling goods or supplying services direct to the public, or constructing exhibition booths);
  • settling compensation or other civil proceedings;
  • participating in product orientation; and
  • attending short-term seminars or other business meetings.

Companies sending employees to Hong Kong for any business-related activity should always consult an immigration specialist to confirm whether the proposed activity is allowed as a visitor, or whether an employment visa is required.

Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.