The UK government released a Statement of Intent for EU citizens living in the UK to apply for “settled status” if they want to continue living in the UK after Britain leaves Europe after June 2021. Settled status will allow the EU citizen to continue to live and work in the UK as long as they would like, being legible for:
- Public services, such as healthcare and schools
- Public funds and pensions
- British citizenship (if requirements are met)
Irish citizens will not have to apply for settled status as they are already considered settled in the UK. However, family members of Irish citizens from outside the UK and Ireland will need to apply.
In order to be eligible for settled status, you will need to be:
- An EU citizen, or a family member of an EU citizen
- Living in the UK continuously for 5 years (‘continuous residence’)
- You must have been living in the UK for at least 6 months in each of those 5 years except for a period of up to 12 months for an important reason (such as work or study) or for a compulsory military service.
- Living in the UK by December 31, 2020
If you have a child after having settled status, the child will automatically be a British citizen if born in the UK.
If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years of continues residence, you will be eligible for “pre settled status”. The pre settled status will allow you to stay in the UK for a further 5 years. Once the 5 year residency is obtained, you would be able to apply for settled status.
Applying for Settled Status
The scheme via online application will phase in later this year but will open fully by March 2019.
The deadline for applying is June 30, 2021. Applications may still be accepted after that date if you are joining a family member in the UK.
The application will consist of the following to apply:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of residence in the UK
- Declaration of no serious criminal convictions
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.