The Finnish government has released a new decree stating that “Specialist Workers” from a non-EU country can now work in Finland for up to 90 days without a residence permit.  The Specialist will need to simply have a valid visa (such as a business visa or visa issued from another Schengen country).

Who can be considered a Specialist?

According to the Finnish Migri, a Specialist is determined by the work task and if it requires specialized skills.  A Specialist must have at least a Bachelor degree or higher and a monthly gross salary without allowances above 3000 Euro.

What if the Specialist needs to stay longer than 90 days?

The Specialist is only allowed to work without a work permit for 90 days in a 180-day period.  If the Specialist needs to work in Finland longer than 90 days, he/she will have to apply for a work permit or leave Finland for 90 days to later return to work with the business visa for 90 days again.

Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact their immigration specialist for case-specific advice.

Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.