Effective sometime in August 2019, draft legislation will introduce some significant changes to the immigration rules.
[UPDATE] The new immigration legislation became effective on July 31st.
What will change?
- Quotas for new applications will be introduced for some processes at some consulates. These will be established by government decree (not yet published).
- Employees will be able to change employer only after six months of residing in the Czech Republic on the basis of an employee card. The change of employer will not require an approval from the Ministry of Interior. The employee must declare the expected change at least 30 days in advance.
- Labour market testing may be reduced to ten days (from 30 days currently) at the discretion of the labour office.
- It will no longer be necessary to submit biometrics again and obtain a replacement residence card if the employee changes address – the address will no longer be included on the card, but instead on a stamp in their passport.
- From 2021, residence holders will be required to complete an integration course.
- A new type of permit will be available to graduates seeking suitable work or intending to start their own business.
- A temporary residence permit for an EU citizen issued before the date this new law takes effect will be considered expired ten years after its issuance, while one issued before January 1, 2010 will be considered expired on December 31, 2019.
- Government projects will be reorganized into three programs, open to more nationalities and with simplified qualifying criteria: Key and Scientific Personnel (local hires and assignees); Highly Qualified Workers (local hires only); and Qualified Workers (local hires from certain countries only).
The final version of the new Act has not yet been signed by the president or published.
Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact an immigration specialist for case-specific advice.
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.