Effective January 1, 2021, increased minimum gross annual salary levels for foreign employees have been announced for the Belgian regions of Brussels and Flanders. Wallonia is expected to publish its new salary scales shortly.
The increases are as follows:
- Highly-skilled workers: EUR 43,395 (up from EUR 42,869);
- ICT Executives/Managers: EUR 72,339 (up from EUR 71,521);
- ICT Specialists: EUR 44,889;
- ICT Trainees: EUR 28,056;
- EU Blue Card applicants: EUR 56,111 (up from EUR 55,431).
- Highly-skilled workers, ICT Specialists and ICT Trainees: EUR 43,524 (up from EUR 42,696 )
- Aged up to 30 years/Nurses: EUR 34,819.20 (up from EUR 34,156.80)
- ICT Executives/Managers: EUR 69,638 (up from EUR 68,314)
- EU Blue Card applicants: EUR 52,229 (up from EUR 51,235)
Employers applying for new or renewal work authorizations on or after January 1, 2021 must increase the salary to comply with the new threshold. Immigration applications that do not meet the minimum salary requirement will be rejected.
Employers with pending applications as of January 1, 2021 must increase the salary to comply with the new threshold and must inform the regional authorities.
Employers must also ensure that the salaries of existing employees already working in Belgium comply with the new thresholds as of January 1, 2021.
Salary must be either subject to tax if paid in the home country, or social security if paid in Belgium. The salary amount must be certain/fixed prior to the start of the employment in Belgium. Discretionary bonuses and Cost of *Living Allowances (CoLA) as well as most other allowances (e.g. travel, board, lodging) cannot be taken into account.
Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact us for case-specific advice.
Please note that this is general information only and not intended as advice on a specific matter. Please feel free to contact Fakhoury Global Immigration directly with questions exclusive to your situation. This news alert may have been prepared using information from Peregrine Immigration Management, which is licensed to Fakhoury Global Immigration.